Environmental Sustainability Advisor
About EQWIP HUBs
EQWIP HUBs is a global network of innovation spaces where youth develop market-relevant skills and gain access to the mentorship, networks, technology and capital to transition to the workforce or to launch a new wave of youth-owned enterprise. Hosted by local Partner Organizations in 12 urban centers across Bolivia, Ghana, Indonesia, Peru, Senegal, and Tanzania, EQWIP HUBs is a unique platform for youth peer-to-peer collaboration.
EQWIP HUBs is a joint project of Canada World Youth (CWY) and Youth Challenge International (YCI), two world-renowned catalysts of innovative youth development and global exchange solutions, with generous funding support from the Government of Canada.
EQWIP HUBs is looking for experienced Environmental Sustainability Advisors who will provide comprehensive environmental guidance and contribute to the project’s environmental goals and objectives.
As an Environmental Sustainability Advisor, you will assist EQWIP HUBs partners in integrating environmental practices within their programming and operations and help them strengthen their environmental sustainability plans.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Support partner organizations in implementing their Sustainability Plans by supporting environmental sustainability activities that include training, coaching, and joint implementation of initiatives to improve environmental performance
- Support partners in the development and implementation of an environmental sustainability action plan, tools, mechanisms and policies, in alignment with their specific needs and core activities
- Assist partners in developing and implementing policies or processes that will enhance their environmental sustainability strategy
- Support monitoring and evaluation activities related to the project’s environmental impact
- Employ capacity building principles in the development and implementation of all activities
- Develop, document and share all tools and materials developed with partners and country staff;
- Contribute to Gender Equality objectives of the project by ensuring the participation of women in all activities
- Additional responsibilities and tasks to be assigned as required.
Qualifications and skills:
We are looking for volunteers who offer the following skills:
- Relevant postsecondary degree in environmental sciences, natural resource management, community development, or related field of study
- Familiarity with management, capacity development, implementation and monitoring of environmental sustainability of programs and projects
- Comprehensive knowledge of global and local environmental issues and challenges, best practices in this field and environmental management systems
- Excellent research and report writing skills
- Able to thrive as part of a team, in person and remotely
- Require minimal supervision and to manage multiple priorities
- Excellent interpersonal, communication (oral and written), and organizational skills
Terms and Conditions:
You must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident to be eligible for this volunteer placement.
Most costs related to this placement are covered. EQWIP HUBs offers the following conditions that cover basic living expenses while in-country. They include:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country
- Online pre-departure training
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country
- Language training in-country where required
- Return international flights and visa costs
- Health and emergency insurance
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas. This allowance covers communications, housing and food costs and other typical monthly living expenses
Volunteers contribute to youth innovation
Successful applicants undertake to fundraise prior to departure. Volunteer contributions support the Youth Innovation Fund which provides small grants to local youth business start-ups. Fundraising goals are between $2,950 and $3,900 and based on placement length.