Gender Equality Advisor
About EQWIP HUBs
EQWIP HUBs is a global network of innovation spaces where youth develop market-relevant skills and gain access to the mentorship, networks, technology and capital to transition to the workforce or to launch a new wave of youth-owned enterprise. Hosted by local Partner Organizations in 18 urban centers across Bolivia, Ghana, Indonesia, Peru, Senegal, and Tanzania, EQWIP HUBs is a unique platform for youth peer-to-peer collaboration.
EQWIP HUBs is a joint project of Canada World Youth (CWY) and Youth Challenge International (YCI), two world-renowned catalysts of innovative youth development and global exchange solutions, with generous funding support from the Government of Canada.
EQWIP HUBs is looking for experienced Gender Equality Advisors who will support local partner organizations to develop and/or strengthen their programming, policies and procedures to ensure that they are gender-responsive.
As the Gender Equality Advisor, you will be supported by the EQWIP HUBs in-country Partner Capacity Building & Gender Coordinator. You will contribute to strengthening the partner organizations’ capacity to facilitate the participation of women and youth in their decision-making processes and address challenges and barriers faced by young women in accessing their services or programs. You will contribute to addressing barriers to young women’s employment and entrepreneurship.
As a volunteer you will:
- Support the partner organization to implement their Partner Sustainability Plan by supporting activities that promote Gender Equality, such as training and coaching of staff and key stakeholders
- Support partners in the development and implementation of Gender Equality policies, procedures, action plans, tools and mechanisms that are aligned with their local context, specificities and needs
- Support partners in monitoring and evaluation, data analysis/triangulation and report writing relating to Gender Equality performance
- Support the partners, in collaboration with the Monitoring and Evaluation Advisors, to design indicators that measure gender responsiveness in their programs, policies and procedures
- Employ capacity building principles in the development and implementation of all activities
- Develop, document and share all tools and materials developed with partners and country staff
- Additional responsibilities and tasks to be assigned as required.
Qualifications and skills:
- Educational background or certification in Gender or Women’s Studies, International Development, or related field
- Experience implementing and monitoring Gender Equality mainstreaming initiatives
- Familiarity software packages for data entry and analysis
- Report writing skills
- Experience with participatory training or facilitation
- High degree of intercultural communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities
- High degree of autonomy
- Excellent interpersonal, communication (oral and written), and organizational skills
Terms and Conditions:
You must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident to be eligible for this volunteer placement.
Most costs related to this placement are covered. EQWIP HUBs offers the following conditions that cover basic living expenses while in-country. They include:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country
- Online pre-departure training
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country
- Language training in-country where required
- Return international flights and visa costs
- Health and emergency insurance
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas. This allowance covers communications, housing and food costs and other typical monthly living expenses
Volunteers contribute to youth innovation
Successful applicants undertake to fundraise prior to departure. Volunteer contributions support the Youth Innovation Fund which provides small grants to local youth business start-ups. Fundraising goals are between $2,950 and $3,900 and based on placement length.