Youth Support Officer
About EQWIP HUBs
EQWIP HUBs is a global network of innovation spaces where youth develop market-relevant skills and gain access to the mentorship, networks, technology and capital to transition to the workforce or to launch a new wave of youth-owned enterprise. Hosted by local Partner Organizations in 12 urban centers across Bolivia, Ghana, Indonesia, Peru, Senegal, and Tanzania, EQWIP HUBs is a unique platform for youth peer-to-peer collaboration.
EQWIP HUBs is a joint project of Canada World Youth (CWY) and Youth Challenge International (YCI), two world-renowned catalysts of innovative youth development and global exchange solutions, with generous funding support from the Government of Canada.
EQWIP HUBs is looking for Youth Support Officers to engage with youth, partners and HUB staff to strengthen the youth’s abilities to access employment and business opportunities.
As a Youth Support Officer, you contribute to build youth-friendly spaces and services at the HUB. You will support youth who access the different services offered by the HUBs (training, mentorship, access to technology, seed funding for entrepreneurship) and sharing their successes with a broader audience in country and in Canada.
As a volunteer you will:
- Provide ongoing support to youth to enhance their understanding of the EQWIP HUBs training and support services through the application of monitoring activities
- Build relationships with local youth, helping them to articulate and share their growth and success
- Assist with youth interviews, surveys and focus groups
- Assist with aggregation of data for reporting
- Contribute to knowledge management activities for HUB (success stories, reporting, HUB newsletter articles etc.)
- APPLY capacity building principles in the development and implementation of all activities
- Develop, document and share all tools and materials developed with partners and country staff
- Contribute to gender equality objectives of the project by ensuring the participation of women in all activities
- Additional responsibilities and tasks may be assigned based on HUB and Partner Organization priorities
Qualifications and skills
- Background in social sciences, international development, knowledge management, M&E or related field is preferred
- Experience interacting with youth is preferred
- Experience with other software packages for data entry and analysis is preferred
- Experience with training or facilitation is an asset
- Able to thrive as part of a team, in person and remotely
- Require minimal supervision and to manage multiple priorities
- Excellent interpersonal, communication (oral and written), and organizational skills
- Strong writing skills are an asset
Terms and Conditions
You must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident to be eligible for this volunteer placement.
Most costs related to this placement are covered. EQWIP HUBs offers the following conditions that cover basic living expenses while in-country. They include:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country
- Online pre-departure training
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country
- Language training in-country where required
- Return international flights and visa costs
- Health and emergency insurance
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas. This allowance covers communications, housing and food costs and other typical monthly living expenses
Volunteers contribute to youth innovation
Successful applicants undertake to fundraise prior to departure. Volunteer contributions support the Youth Innovation Fund which provides small grants to local youth business start-ups. Fundraising goals are between $2,950 and $3,900 and based on placement length.